The month of June is going to be a busy and exciting one as the Midsummer Festival will be in full swing! To avoid clashes with any other event I think it’s better if the photowalk in Doneraile, Co. Cork be on Sunday June 8th before it starts at all.
Where: Doneraile Park, Co. Cork.
When: Sunday, 8th June. 3pm
Directions: Leave Cork going north through Blackpool towards Blarney and Mallow. Pass through Mallow and keep on the main road until you get to “New Twopothouse”. Doneraile town is sign posted there so take a right. When you get to the town go through it to the other side. You’ll see Doneraile Park sign posted. See the Google Map above, or check this one for the route.
Doneraile Park is a beautiful park with at least one river running through it, a small weir near the carpark. Deer and livestock can often be seen in some areas of the park as can fowl like ducks or swans. Doneraile House overlooks a large part of the park and is famous because a member of that household was the only female Freemason. The house was closed the last time I was there and I’m not sure if it’s ever open to the public. It faces north from what I can remember so you’d have to be there before noon to catch any sun on the front of the house.
If you’re going to blog about this, or post photos afterwards, please tag them “corkphotowalk” so anyone interested can find them easily!
- Doneraile Wildlife Park
- Doneraile Forest Park and Demesne
- Dneraile Park
- Doneraile Wildlife Park @ Heritage Ireland
Cork Midsummer Festival
If you can’t make it to Doneraile on the 8th, there’s still plenty happening in the weeks after as the festival starts on the 15th and continues for 3 weeks. I’m particularly interested in the following, mainly because they’re outdoors, and as they are in public places, photography won’t be a problem.
- Sunday, June 15th from noon to 6pm. The Lord Mayor’s picnic in the park. Fun and games and food stalls in Fitzgerald’s Park, Cork. I was there a few years ago. Lots to see, plenty to photograph, although we’ll have to be considerate of children.
- Saturday, June 21st. Shandon Street Festival. Music and entertainment on the street all day. At 1pm in front of Brown Thomas there will be a Bicycle Ballet. It lasts 30 minutes. Must try catch both.
- Saturday and Sunday, June 28th to 29th. Senszione. Sounds like a weird fairground with unusual looking rides. Unfortunately it’s at 6.30pm, 7.45pm and 9pm. Both earlier times are bad for me, but I’ll try for 9pm. Bad light then of course but it can’t be helped.
- Saturday, July 5th. Robodock. IAWS Warehouse, Cork Docklands at 3pm and 8pm. I’ll be going to the 3pm show. Remember those weird iron sculptures in Emmett Place on St. Patrick’s Day? Lots more of them. The Docklands is due to be developed so it’s worth getting down there if for no other reason than to record something that won’t be able to happen there again.
I almost forgot. The Cork City Marathon is on Monday, June 2nd. Grab your place at the finish line!
Phew. It’s going to be a busy month!